Monday, November 5, 2012

Thanks for joining us for our Nov. 4th FWDO!

Thanks to everyone who joined us for the Nov. 4 FWDO, where we heard from three groups addressing animal needs in the Fort Worth area.

In case you missed it, here's a recap:

  • Dottie Hyatt with Bat World discussed the importance of bats to our ecosystem, dispelled myths about these smart and gentle creatures, and emphasized the rationale behind supporting initiatives that protect bat populations in Fort Worth and beyond. 
  • Trish Jemison with the International Exotic Animal Sanctuary discussed the exotic felines, bears and other animals that are housed within the sanctuary and how the animals come into their care. She addressed how labor intensive and costly it is to maintain a healthy environment and diet for these animals, and encouraged the audience to come for a tour of their facility. 
  • Victor Neil with Love Our Local Animals (LOLA) discussed the organization's mission to provide funds to existing local animal rescue groups to prevent Fort Worth animals from being euthanized. He explained how inexpensive it can be to save a cat or dog's life and find it a forever home. 
In what was the closest voting margin in FWDO's six events, LOLA received the most votes and will receive 60% of the night's proceeds. Bat World and the International Exotic Animal Sanctuary will receive an equal share of the remaining 40%. 

While attendance was much lower than expected, at a total of 34 people, we were able to keep costs to a minimum through the generosity of 809 at Vickery for comping the event space and thanks to the donations of beer and wine from our loyal FWDO attendees. Our overhead expenses were therefore limited to food and floral costs.

Please mark your calendar for February 10, which will be our first FWDO in 2013! We look forward to seeing you (and all your friends) then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment