Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Third Fort Worth Dish Out scheduled for Jan. 29 at 809 at Vickery!

The latest FWDO, scheduled for Jan. 29, will feature three projects/organizations that focus on the issue of homelessness in the local community -- something that is unfortunately a growing concern given the state of our economy.

To provide a local perspective, information acquired from the Tarrant County Homeless Coalition states the following:
  • In 2009, children made up 25 percent of the homeless living in emergency shelters and transitional housing. In 2010, that number rose to 30 percent.
  • Women make up 38 percent of the homeless. At least 50 percent of women attribute domestic violence as a factor leading to their homelessness.
  • It is estimated that 12.8 percent of Tarrant County lives in poverty. Of that number, 43.8 percent are employed.
We look forward to seeing you from 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Jan. 29th at 809 at Vickery (809 W. Vickery Blvd., Fort Worth, 76104) to share in a yummy meal provided as always by Chef Allen Lutes while we learn about ways local organizations are helping to address the needs of our homeless population. The winner of our very first FWDO, Project 44, will also give a short presentation while we tally the votes.

Please register by clicking the tab above. You have the option to pay the $20 entry fee in advance or to simply give us advance notice that you will be attending the event. There will be a cash bar available. Thanks for helping us ensure that we have plenty of food to go around by signing up!

In case you're new to the FWDO concept, here's the drill: Following presentations by representatives from each project, guests will vote on the one that most inspires them. The winner will receive 60 percent of the night’s net proceeds; the remaining 40 percent will be split evenly between the other two projects.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment