Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Fort Worth Dish Out a great success!

On Jan 29, the third FWDO—held at the fantastic 809 at Vickery—was attended by 104 guests who enjoyed a yummy chili dinner provided by Chef Allen Lutes and learned more about homelessness initiatives taking place here in Fort Worth.

First up, Stephen Karnes with Street Swags introduced their idea of durable sleeping bags that conveniently fold into a bag designed for people who are living on the streets. This organization was founded in Australia, but is also available in Fort Worth.

Then, The NET, an organization created by Melissa Ice, discussed what they’re doing to build lasting friendships with the homeless through events such as Bagels and Bingo, and a special career fair initiative involving TCU students. You can find out more by visiting the College Impact Facebook page.

The final presentation, given by Rev. Penny Yaites of Restorative Justice, focused on the needs of people released from the prison system—people who are considered to be the “Invisible Homeless”—including ways to help them gain employment.

While guests voted, we heard from Kyle Roberson, executive director for Project 44—the winner of our very first Dish Out. He got us up to speed on how the organization has thrived since we learned about their work in July 2011.

After tallying the votes, the NET was announced as the winner of our third Dish Out! Melissa said that she plans to use the money for storytelling, to help do away with the preconceived notions most people have about homeless people.

It is a joy for us to announce that the event costs required 40 percent of the proceeds from the evening, which means that we are able to give the remaining 60 percent to our presenters. The NET will receive $940, and Street Swag and Restorative Justice will each receive $313!

Thanks to everyone who attended this event; we look forward to seeing you in April when we will be focusing on projects that are geared toward sustainable, “green” ventures—just in time for Earth Day.

Check back closer to the event for more details, including date, location and registration information!

No comments:

Post a Comment